Friday, January 2, 2009

Baby Mama

Sep. 5, 2008

Friday is my baby’s big day. It seems like yesterday I was singing him to sleep and changing his diapers. After raising four boys and having watched all of them transition from snot-nosed tots to responsible adults, I find it hardest to let my last one go.

He came to me months back with that twinkle I’d seen three times before. “Mom,” he says with that handsome grin, “she said yes.” I screamed and hugged him, barely getting my arms around his tree-trunk frame. Erica fits our family like a missing puzzle piece. She’s so perfect for Bryant and gets along with everyone. Yesterday I went with her to make the final floral arrangements. She held my hand during lunch and looked at me with tearful eyes. “I love your son,” she said, “I can’t believe I found him.” I told her stories of Bryant as a boy and how his steady character acted as the backbone of the family. I told her about him protecting kids from the school bully and how he always saw himself as a hero. I told her about the cape he wore everyday afterschool and his high-kick jumps atop the coffee table. Bryant’s faith in God and love for his family made him our personal hero. After Sarah died, Bryant organized a community vigil and spoke only about the positive, uplifting things. I told her even though he experienced tragedy and lost his sweetheart he turned it into a learning experience. Erica shared some things with me about Bryant that I didn’t know. She told me he sings her favorite song to her at night over the phone and leaves her favorite candy bar on her desk at work. I smiled so wide my jaw began to hurt. I love all my kids and never get tired of hearing the good things they do. My baby has transformed into the kind of person that will make a difference in this world. At 60 I know I’m on the downward slope. I feel my age everyday, but when I stop and think about my kids and the choices they’ve made I feel like a new momma all over again. I am ready for that next stage. I’m ready for grandchildren. Nick’s been married for nearly 8 years and still no kids. Now that my babies are grown I’m ready to love and spoil a whole new generation of Hulling’s boys (and girls). Bring on the babies.

Karen J. Hulling
60

No comments:

Post a Comment