Monday, January 5, 2009

From the High Ropes

Jan. 4, 2009

The rag wants my review of The Wrestler Friday. I need more time. This is one I want to sit on for a few days. When walking out of the theatre in New York some bozo said, 'who wants to see a movie about fake wrestling?" I tremble when I hear comments like these. I walked out of the film with the kind of buzz that got me into the biz; more floating than walking. While dissecting, marinating and stewing upon this giant of a film, this clown deflated my hover with a single pop. I wanted to power slam him into the concession. He continued to dazzle: "It sucked like Million Dollar Baby," he quipped. "Why do they think anyone cares about the depressed situations of losers?" Another power slam and then a chokehold. I'd climb the ropes quick, wanting to end him. Kapow!!! 'No more commentary from the likes of you,' I'd say while gloating in his agony.

Day dreaming aside, I need to write something soon. Merv says I need to slip more features in this year; at least one more a week. As if 5 reviews aren't enough. He says I need to do more interviews with more movie folk. I've got one scheduled Thursday with some Sundance short film guys. I don't like going above that in the celebrity hierarchy. Guys trying to break into the biz give better interviews. The already there folks are tainted and turned by the Hollywood hullabaloo. Honesty is more common on Capitol Hill. I need to get someone though. Someone to please the powers that be (I've always hated that cliché.) I'll probably call Gill with Bale's people again. Readers can't get enough on Ledger. Bale's a good sport anyway. I'll call tomorrow; right now I'm set for another power slam.

Eli Cobb (Not my real name obviously) 42

No comments:

Post a Comment